LOVE DEMANDS THAT WE MINISTER TO EACH OTHER
Sometimes Faith Development, often called the Sunday School department, is seen as being for children. But adults never outgrow their need to learn and grow and stretch their faith. They never lose the need to ask hard questions, either. Here at Union Church Berea, we believe love demands hard questions, and also demands careful consideration of those questions. Therefore, we offer various opportunities for adults to study and stretch. Some of these have been ongoing for years; others come and go and constantly change. In all cases, all opinions, points of view, and questions are welcomed, if respectfully presented.
Call the office at 859-986-3725 or email email@example.com to get details and contact info.
Ongoing Faith Development Opportunities–virtual at the moment
We believe love demands a broad range of diverse and varied opportunities for a broad range of diverse and varied people. These change all the time, and if you have an idea you’d like to experience or help to present, call the office and ask to let someone on the Faith Development Board know.
Short-Term Monthly Zoom Dialogue Starting Jan. 26, 2022, 6 Sessions
Join our monthly discussion group on issues related to both science and religion, their intersection and divergence. Each session will include a panel on a different theme, followed by questions and answers from all. You don’t have to have a science or religion background to be a welcome member of the group. Respectful discourse and true dialogue are our goal, regardless of scientific position, religious affiliation, or a-religious leanings. Come, and let us learn together. Register below to give us an idea of how many will be participating in this Zoom dialogue.
Click Icon Below for more details on how to connect if you must dial in from out of state or country, etc.
Format of Dialogue & Zoom Connection
Each session will center around a short article or video that will be sent to all participants. The first part of our discussion will be among a panel of theologians and scientists discussing their thoughts. The class will be “eavesdropping” but then we will open the panel for questions and discussions from all gathered. Materials will be sent each month and a resource page will be set up for your reference.
Every month on the Fourth Wed, until Jun 22, 2022, 6 occurrence(s). Click date below to join by Zoom
Some past events have included:
- The Thursday Bible study, which follows the Revised Common Lectionary, may be one of the longest-lasting programs of Union Church. The group meets on Zoom at 10:30 (and some people go out to lunch together (afterwards). During the pandemic, it has become virtual and is expected to retain the virtual option even if the group is able to meet in-person. It’s up to you! Occasionally, it has changed focus temporarily; for example, there may be a summer study on a particular topic or book of the Bible. But every week for many years, whoever wishes has gathered to take a look at the suggested passages for that week, for two main purposes: to dig into the scripture and some commentary and share and turn over what is learned, and to help the pastor gain some new insights for the sermon that week. Fellowship and friendship happens, too. Whether you are a biblical scholar or have never opened the book, you might like it–give it a try!
- The Chancel Choir, Orchestra, and Handbell Ensemble are also good opportunities for faith development and ministry. These groups minister in both directions–to the members, as they meet, share, pray, and practice together, and then from the groups to the greater congregation, in their musical offerings. You do not have to be a highly trained musician to join any of them.
- Weekend retreats for anything from healing arts to body work such as yoga or spiritual dance
- Summer or short-term programs on some particular activity or topic of interest
- Bi-weekly gatherings to immerse oneself in the psalms of praise and lament
- Special events during special times, such as Advent or Lent
- Repeated offerings, such as Whiteness and Witness and other anti-racist classes and seminars, or end-of-life planning, or … almost anything!
Keep an eye on this page and other links for up-to-date adult opportunities for learning and growth.