At the request of Gov. Beshear, all churches in the commonwealth are being asked to suspend services and large gatherings for this weekend. The hope is that this will further delay the spread of the novel corona virus and the Covid-19 respiratory illness it causes. Therefore Union Church will not be holding services this weekend and we will postpone our annual meeting until further notice.
Union Church WILL be broadcasting a service. Despite being closed to large groups, there will be a live video service and sermon by Rev. Kent at the regular time of 10:30am. It will also be uploaded to our YouTube Channel for later viewing. The worship bulletin, scripture readings, prayers, and meditation suggestions will be posted on the church website by Friday afternoon for your personal or family devotions. We encourage everyone to take time to breathe deeply, pray, slow down and rest in the presence of God, either with the Sunday broadcast or at holy time of your choosing. We are still “Tending the Holy” as we take these precautions, and will be holding each other in prayer.
You can view the video feed by following the link: www.union-church.org/live-broadcast. The most recently recorded service is always there, available to watch anytime. There are also links to archived worship services and our YouTube page.
If you would like any technical help setting up your computer, tablet, or phone to watch the videos, several members have volunteered to help. Call the church office and we will connect you.
Rev. Kent and the church staff will be opening the church as usual, and pastoral care will be available to any in need. Please call Rev. Kent, Rev. Carla, or the church office for any spiritual support you might need. If an ‘in person’ visit isn’t convenient or practical for you, we can help arrange phone or video to support you. We will also be looking for new and innovative ways to support our families and friends. Stay tuned!
Here is what we know so far about other church groups and meetings:
- Bell and Vocal Choir rehearsals are also cancelled for this week. We will evaluate the situation after the weekend to determine if these activities should be suspended for a longer time.
- Orchestra planning is pending at this time. Please check with Bernardo Scarambone for more information.
- The Union Church Youth Group will meet as usual tonight. School has not been cancelled and we want to provide as much normal routine as possible.
- Thursday Bible Study will meet with social distancing precautions: we’ll be sitting further apart and those with health problems should feel free to avoid meeting.
- We don’t yet have information from the Classic Chorale, Friday Bridge Club, AA Groups, and other church users. Please check with leaders and friends in those groups.
Of adversities, Paul reminds us that with faith “In all these things we are more than conquerors”. Thank you for your flexibility and good humor as we adapt to changing needs! God is with us in these transitions and together we are working for the health and well-being of all as we embody the life and ministry of Christ.