LOVE DEMANDS NURTURE AND CARE
From our Mission Statement:
UNBOUNDED HOSPITALITY TO BUILD A BELOVED COMMUNITY OF CHRIST
We will boldly and creatively embody the life and ministry of Jesus by offering the radical hospitality of Christ in all we do and in the fellowship we share. We will seek unity in building a loving community amongst the gifts of differing traditions, opinions, and views. We will listen carefully and prayerfully. We will proclaim God’s forgiveness and grace. We will stand with one another as bearers of Christ’s light in times of trial and rejoicing. As a body of Christ we will actively and intentionally reach beyond the walls that separate us, persuaded that “God has made of one blood all peoples of the earth.”
The statement that love demands nurture and care moves in two directions:
- the love within ourselves requires nurture and care in order to grow it more and more like Christ’s impartial love;
- that love, then directed out of ourselves, requires that we offer nurture and care to all others.
At Union Church, our Nurture and Care Board is especially responsible for both of these goals. They seek to help us nurture and grow our ability to love both others and ourselves impartially, and they reach out in practical ways to help anyone in need of a little extra nurture and care. They are especially important to those undergoing any kind of trial or crisis.
This board is charged with the responsibility to assist with the spiritual life of the church.
Their responsibilities include:
- Communicating effectively with the Pastor(s) to nurture the physical and spiritual well-being of church members and friends
- Caring for members and friends through visits, rides, in-home communion, etc.
- Offering and/or arranging special assistance in times of birth, death, illness, or other crises of any kind.