Love Demands Administration – yes, it really does!
From our Mission Statement:
EXTRAVAGANT GENEROSITY AND CARE IN OUR STEWARDSHIP
We will boldly and creatively embody the life and ministry of Jesus with extravagant generosity and care in the stewardship of the gifts we have been given. We will offer and organize our time, talent, and treasure in loving service and outreach with useful facilities and supported staff and programs, striving always to be agents of God’s inclusive love. With care and diligence we will seek the well-being of our community, of all of our volunteers and staff, and of God’s earth in all that we undertake alone and together.
Truthfully, more than most other boards, Union Church’s Administration Board takes all the parts of the Mission Statement under its wings, because the task of Administration is to keep all the other parts of the community working well together. If you read the bio of Dave Kobersmith, who is our Union Church Administrator (a different thing from the board, but working in close concert with them), you will learn how much more than mere practicality is included in our concept of administration as ministry.
Union Church is congregational, which means that it does not look to a synod or denomination for its oversight. This means that, even more than in all churches, the pastors and officers work for the congregation. The Administration Board is tasked with oversight of staff and even of the pastor(s). This board has its fingers in all kinds of practical, day-to-day things, from cleaning services to building use, but its goal is to always see that all boards, committees, and activities are working as ministries, striving to meet all the values and visions of the Mission Statement as a whole.
Their responsibilities include:
- Personnel support
- Oversight of pastors and staff
- Working in consultation with the Finance Board
- Establishing policies for office operations, in collaboration with Pastor(s), Church Administrator, Office Administrator, and custodian or cleaning service to ensure smooth functioning of the church, including building use and scheduling
- Maintaining job descriptions for personnel, terms of call for pastor(s), annual contracts for other employees, evaluation processes
- Working with the appropriate boards, initiating and/or participating in searches and hiring of staff.