Do you like working with numbers? Prowling around old buildings? Planning parties? Working with kids? Wondering what it’s like to serve on one of Union Church’s Boards? Come to a meeting after worship Feb. 5 to talk about it. Meet with Nominating Board members in the Classroom Room near the office to find out more — no commitment, just explore where your gifts may be helpful!
The Nominating Board is looking for a few good people to serve on our boards and to fill two officer positions for the church. As of the writing of this article we need two or more people for each of the ten boards that work with the staff to direct the ministries of the church. Below are short descriptions of the boards and officer positions that need to be filled. If you read one and think, “I would like to serve the church in that way” or “I would like to learn more about the work they do”, contact one of the Nominating Board members – Carla Gilbert, Chair; Jenny Hobson; Kevin Burke; Michelle Hayden; Susie Ritchie; or Ashley Cochrane.
- Church Finance – The purpose is to work cooperatively with the staff, Treasurer and Financial Secretary to oversee and manage the financial affairs of the Church. As the finances impact all aspects of the church coordination of financial matters are usually coordinated through the Church Council.
- Properties – The purpose is to guide and support the members of Union Church by maintaining the property and grounds for use by the beloved community.
- Administration – The purpose is to guide and support the ministries of Union Church through overseeing staff hiring and evaluation, building use policy, office equipment & technology, and other administrative assistance.
- Worship – The purpose is to guide and support the worship experiences for the beloved community of Union Church.
- Community Life and Growth – The purpose is to guide and support the beloved faith community of Union Church through welcoming initiatives and fellowship opportunities throughout the year for members and friends of all ages, and establish policies for use of parts of the facility.
- Nurture and Care – The purpose is to guide and support the members of Union Church with a compassionate and caring community.
- Faith Development – The purpose is to envision a holistic faith development program for Union Church and to recruit, assist, and support highly qualified teachers and leaders.
- Mission and Service – The purpose is to guide and support the Union Church faith community in service and mission engagement locally and globally.
- Pastoral Relations Board – The purpose is to act as liaison board of the congregation seeking to support the staff Clergy of the church, and provide a mechanism for open communication between the congregation and the clergy.
- Nominations Board – The purpose is to select from the membership of the church candidates for elective leadership positions in the beloved community of Union Church.
The two officer positions that need to be filled are briefly described as well.
The Moderator cooperates with the Pastors by providing broad lay leadership for the Congregation, presides at all regular and special meetings of the church, participates with the pastors at the reception of new members, and moderate Church Council meetings in the absence of Church Council Chair.
The Treasurer is the financial liaison between the staff, Church Council and the congregation. They monitor relationships with banks and investment companies, and facilitate communication and transparency of financial information. With Church Council they ensure sufficient funds are available for ongoing operations. With Church Finance Board, ensures use of funds complies with legal and donor restrictions.